Monday, December 14, 2009

Education Yakuza

I know when I teach
There are things that must be taught
Which the state mandates

As a rule of thumb
About seventy percent
Belongs to the state

And thirty percent
Belongs to me and I don’t
Know who’s thumb it is

Maybe if I don’t
Give the state its percentage
And try to short them

They’ll cut off my thumb
Like Japanese Yakuza
And wrap it up nice

And send it to my
Students - a message not to
Trifle with the state

So if I see some
Wise guys in the school hallways
I’ll just play it cool

and make sure that they
notice a multiple choice
test on my clipboard

and not the writing
my students generated
yesterday about

standardization
as the worst enemy of
creativity

4 comments:

  1. The image of your thumb as a message to your students is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be mistaken, but I remember the "rule of thumb" having a truly awful history. Wasn't it part of British law that a man could beat his wife with a stick, as long as the stick was no broader than his thumb?

    Takes the Standards analogy into a whole new misogynistic direction...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thirty percent
    Belongs to me and I don’t
    Know who’s thumb it is

    my favorite lines....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Eric. It's brilliant. I sort of want to cut off my own thumb in protest of the state.

    ReplyDelete