Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mission Intentional (can you hear the theme song?)

So here's the thing. I figure that if I want to be 'intentional' about what I'm doing in my classroom, and how I'm doing it, I ought at least to start with whatever it is I am intending toward. You know what I mean?

Looking way way off into the distance, about the farthest thing I can aim at with any intention is my beliefs and values as a teacher. Hence, I wrote a mission statement. This is my mission - the loftiest target I can possibly aim for with my students.

Here goes...



"I intend to guide my students' to explore their world in an atmosphere of safety and trust; to build skills that allow them to share, appreciate, and learn from each other; and to apply knowledge of the diverse heritage of the United States of America and of the U.S. Constitution toward a greater understanding of themselves and their world."

Hoo-Whee! Yeah, I told you it was lofty. But I really hammered over - and can provide my own justification - for every word in there. Let's just move on. This is my own version of designing backward, and you don't get to argue (unless, of course, you comment!)

But here's the thing. Have I just set myself up for a crash? I mean, what is a mission, or a belief statement, but a border to my own thinking? In a sense, by defining my professional mission, I've basically marked my territory. Sure, it's a pretty big chunk of territory, and I really shouldn't have any problem working sustainably off of it, but still, in effect I'm saying that if you don't like the smell of it, stay away.

For now, that's the way it is, and I can defend it. So if you don't like it, you know what you can do.

But come back later, I may be in a better mood.

So, I got a mission goin' for me. That's cool. What else?

My mission is based on some pretty basic beliefs. Let's open the drawer and see what they are:

I believe that:

* Students should think
* Students should have choices
* Students should know what is expected of them and why
* Students should experience a safe and trusting classroom
* Students should do most of the work
* The teacher should model every aspect of these beliefs daily


Mission - check. Beliefs upon which mission is based - check. Let's keep going backward, from the lofty and broad toward the more immediate and focused.

Goals. What tangible goals do I have to achieve, using these basic beliefs, to accomplish my mission?

I can tell you they have to do with the daily practice of writing, speaking, reading, and listening in the classroom, always based on these beliefs, and moving toward accomplishing my mission.

More later.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with these beliefs. Students should certainly think, have choices, be in a safe environment, work, respect others, be safe, and know what is expected of them. These guidelines are great because they not only ensure the safety and comfortability of students speaking out in the classroom, but also teach them life skills. By following these rules, students will learn how to think and make decisions in the real world, after education and into the "age of working."
    I also totally agree that the teacher has to follow these guidelines as well. In this world, it is sometimes the teacher that behaves poorly. Teachers should act as a good role model to students, and enforce good behavior by acting well themselves!
    Another thing I think some teachers have to do more is to imagine themselves as their students. Homework, for example, often takes a student a long time. Some teachers just give students homework, and it is beneficial, but, yes, but, they don't understand how homework from different subjects and add up and often takes an hour or two from the average student's free time. In order to become successful, you have to do work and work hard, but teachers should sometimes think, is all the homework necessary?
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete