Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Am Not A Control Freak

Today, my students sit at their desks, read 12 pages of a textbook and take notes. It is very quiet.

This appears to be strange and unusual. People walk by the open door and peek in, eyebrows raised. They think I’m angry at my class - everyone sitting with their noses in a book. They stifle a chuckle at the notion that this is punishment for some misbehavior. Or, maybe they think I just didn’t have a plan for today and regressed to the textbook.

Some teachers assign reading (and writing) for homework, and believe that class time should be used for other things. They do many, many wonderful things with their students during class time. There is an overwhelming amount to get done. It can be justified, then, to defer reading and writing to homework. It is, after all, what a student should be able to do independently.

I do a lot in my classroom as well. I also have students read and write in class. When I do, kids sit in their seats and read or write for a sustained period of time, quietly.

Excuse me while I ask my students what they think of the book they are reading for 20 minutes straight…..

I’m back. Here are the comments.
“It’s interesting.” “I like it.” “It puts you into the story.” “It’s fun.”

OK, not the most eloquent descriptions, but you get the point.

Here’s how my ‘No I’m Not a Control Freak’ class session is set up:

The textbook is A History of US – The First Americans, volume one of a 16 book series written by Joy Hakim about the history of the United States. I’ve modeled reading the first chapter aloud, and have had a discussion with students about why reading aloud and following along is vitally important to their personal growth as readers. In a nutshell – Listening and following along with a good reader helps them to:
1. hear good pace, cadence and inflection
2. hear and see words being pronounced correctly
3. hear and see mistakes that can be glossed over without losing meaning/understanding
4. simply receive input from more than one modality

I read the first chapter out loud, and I thought out loud as well. I stopped when I wondered about something, and I shared that with my students. I wrote down a few phrases that captured my attention. I messed up on a couple of words, and quickly told the class, 'Eh, it doesn't matter. I used another word just like it."

Now it's their turn, reading silently.

There isn’t a corresponding worksheet to go with this reading. They aren’t writing ‘words I don’t know’ for a vocab list. The notes I modeled for them to take consist of listening to their own silent reading, and copying a few sentences from each chapter (2-3 pages) that catch them; make them stop and think, ‘hmmm’; cause them to pause and imagine for a second before moving on. They are leaving space under each set of ‘hmmm’ sentences, and tomorrow we will circulate the ‘captured sentences’ and allow other students to respond to these ‘findings’. Something of a simplified ‘Gallery Walk’ of text statements, that will hopefully generate personalized responses and thoughtful input from others.

What’s the point? Will we make anything of this? I’m not there yet, but if I don’t do anything else (hey, I could test them!), the process I’ve involved my students in is a skill they can repeat anywhere, any time for their own benefit. The content is no longer isolated in some barren text. It is food for thought, individually selected and shared with others. It allows students to have their individual takes on content-related reading be shared, read, and listened to. It will enable students to ‘think big’ in terms of the course content, and to know that simply wondering and being alert to their own thoughts is worthy of sharing. I’m sure I can turn this into a major writing assignment, and if I do, students will be more willing to buy in to it because they generated the thoughtful fodder to make it interesting for themselves. But I don’t have to make something more of this. Some reading and writing should be left just to the pleasure of seeking, discovering, and sharing.

2 comments:

  1. Eric, You write that "there isn’t a corresponding worksheet to go with this reading. They aren’t writing ‘words I don’t know’ for a vocab list." I think this is radical (going to the root of it all, as in "radix"): you're asking the students to actually engage in reading with no outboard texts or quizzes, no functional/ornamental acronym-heavy strategies for learning. They are just reading. Just underlining a few "humm" places. I really like that, and I wonder if we as teacher, for the most noble of reasons, tend to overbook and overstructure the process of reading, writing, and talking. We're always in a rush to get somewhere (a teleology that is represented in the Final Exam or the Big Regents Test, but doesn't originate there). When it's overcontrolled, I'm reading only for the teacher. It becomes a school subject -- and only a school subject. I spend a lot of time just noodling, reading with my sense of smell more than my analytical, test-able mind. So often when I read your blog I hope my kids get to do the things your describing.

    And hell, it's more interesting for the teacher as well, I suspect.

    Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, I wish there were more Social Studies teachers in my building who thought this way! This got me wondering about the students in my classroom, though, and about how they are conditioned by the time they get to my room. For many of them, the idea of reading in school with no scaffold, no score on the top of their paper when they're done, is a foreign one, and it always takes some adjustment in thinking. But it is so much more "real-life," I think, to read beyond an assignment like this.

    I'm going to check out that book!
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete